What are the permissions on the files you're trying to edit? 664 would allow owner/group editing, but readonly by world. If it's 644, then only owner can edit, but group/world can read.

At 04:05 PM 7/21/2008, you wrote:
On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:08:15AM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Gary Kline wrote:
> >     is there a way of modifing etcgroup to let me edit files
> >     chown'd www:kline as kline?  after all, i am in the wheel
> >     and operator group.
>
> Presuming you are in the kline group also, and that the files are
> group-writable, you should be fine.
>
> On a fair number of sites I know of, there is a "webadmin" or
> "wwwadmin" group setup which the users who should change webserver
> resources are part of; but the apache www user is not a member of
> this, so it can't change those files itself.

        strage, i'm in kline is part of www; but i stil fon'thave
        permission for myself---or, indeed, anyone new.

        gary

 Gary Kline  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.thought.org Public Service Unix
        http://jottings.thought.org  http://transfinite.thought.org