Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
Στις Tuesday 22 July 2008 00:25:46 ο/η Tore Lund έγραψε:
Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
Having said that, the issue with the temperature must not be my thing :(
after kldload coretemp, i get
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]% sysctl -a | grep tempera
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 40,0C
dev.cpu.0.temperature: -1
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]% The first always is stuck to 40 and dev.cpu.0.temperature to -1.
Achillea, have you told us what CPU you have?  Manolis presumes you have
an Intel, but I do not see this information anywhere in your posts.  If
you have a recent AMD, try the port k8temp.

Sorry, i have a CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz (2672.74-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf29  Stepping = 9

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x4400<CNXT-ID,xTPR>
So coretemp is not for me.

Definitely.

While experimenting, i noticed the 1st and 3rd temperatures from mbmon to be
updated in a fashion that seems
natural. [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]% mbmon
Temp.= 41.0, 201.0, 42.0; Rot.= 3443,    0,    0
Vcore = 1.50, 1.81; Volt. = 3.30, 5.08, 11.43, -11.74, -1.69

What chipset is the mobo based on? mbmon runs fine on my 865G and a 3Ghz P4 CPU. You are probably correct, the middle temp may represent a sensor that is not recognized, but the other readings seem normal.

I started to trust mbmon, and i think the 1st temp must be motherboard, while
the 3rd CPU,
and indeed the first value varies betaeen 41-42 degrees, and the third value
from 39, (~ 100% idle)
to 45 (0% idle). So i assume the above must be right.
Yesterday i had mbmon -t > mbmon.out running all night and the highest CPU temp
was at 46 deg C,
while highest MB temp was at 43 deg Celsius (if the previous assumptions about the interpretation of the output of mbmon are correct).
Both high temps happened while running periodic daily at 03:00 (which increased
my trust in those).
All that, was after i blew the box/case inside and closed the case.
If i trust those numbers and their interpretation then i must not have a
temperature problem (anymore).
Lets see how the machine behaves.
There is always the other usual suspect from the memory department :)

For memory, I would suggest memtest86. For stressing the machine, try math/mprime in torture mode. Watch the temperatures and make sure you leave it running for a couple of hours and you don't get any errors. Usually, if you have a termperature problem it will bail out in half an hour or less.