i read the graid3 manual and http://www.acnc.com/04_01_03.html to make sure i know what's RAID3 and i don't understand few things.

1)

"The number of components must be equal to 3, 5, 9, 17, etc.

why it can't be say 5 disks+parity?

2) "-r  Use parity component for reading in round-robin fashion.
"Without this option the parity component is not used at
all for reading operations when the device is in a complete state.
 With this option specified random I/O read operations are even 40% faster
, but sequential reads are slower. One cannot use this option if the -w option is also specified."

how parity disk could speed up random I/O?

is there any description of how graid3 actually works?