On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Matthew Seaman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris Pratt wrote:
>
>> I'm now setting up a bind server in which the third alias
>> is the address for incoming DNS queries. It appears
>> it's responding but even though the queries come in
>> on the third alias, they "go out" through the "primary"
>> address or more specifically, the packet count is
>> incremented in the Opkts total for the IP address first
>> attached to the interface via ifconfig (without an alias).
>> My problem appears to be that the packets really are
>> coming from the first IP as the source and are getting
>> blocked by my firewall as they should (the first address
>> is not supposed to be answering DNS queries).
>
> Carefully not answering the 'why do these packets come from the
> wrong address' question, but just pointing out that BIND is
> actually rather more configurable in this respect than most
> software.

Deliberately addressing the question of 'why do these packets come
from the wrong address' question which Mr. Seaman avoided (hello
again, Mathew!), I'll add my two cents.

Run netstat -rnfinet and examine what's in the 'Netif' column.  If
there was some inter-host traffic, you'll see a host entry for each of
your aliases with a value of 'lo0'.  Correlate all the entries in the
routing table and you'll be able to determine what exits where.

I'm not sure why this question doesn't come up more frequently as it
can be problematic, especially in regards to jails (which are
implemented using IP aliasing).  I started a discussion some weeks ago
on the subject that you may find interesting.  To recap briefly, if a
jail host sends traffic to a jail, the traffic will transit the lo0
interface, exit the jail's interface using the jail's IP address, and
connect to the jail on its IP address.  The end result?  Traffic with
identical source and destination IP addresses!

Using your numbers, if named was running in a jail (192.168.0.18) and
a query was made on the host (192.168.0.12), instead of seeing

192.168.0.12.3450 -> 192.168.0.18.53
192.168.0.18.53 -> 192.168.0.12.3450

you'd see the following on lo0:

192.168.0.18.3450 -> 192.168.0.18.53
192.168.0.18.53 -> 192.168.0.18.3450

You're not using jails, but what I'm describing isn't a jail issue, or
a general IP aliasing issue, but a routing issue.  Modifying the
routing table is, of course, possible.  But the results, I've found,
are less than satisfactory.  If you force traffic out an actual
interface, the return traffic will probably still have to occur over
loopback and you're back to where you started, but with some new
problems.   Note also that the above seems to apply irrespective of
the number of network cards or networks.

Tthe moral of the story?  Configure named appropriately, and don't ask
any more questions. ;-)  On the other hand, if you insist on thinking
immoral thoughts as I do, and find a more thorough explanation of any
of the above, please do let me know.