/etc/malloc.conf. The default for that file is to not exist. The man page does not indicate which settings are used in that situation. After reading through it I get the feeling that the default settings for D and M are 'dM'. Hence, to return to the older malloc aproach to see if the problems go away I would need to set "Dm". But some of the descriptions seem to indicate that might not be correct. What are the default settings?
no idea.

anyway - if this makes any non-performance difference to your programs - it's something wrong with it by design.

it should not.

if you need to manage memory your way, just use sbrk only and then manage it your way - as i do in most of my programs.