Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
Manolis Kiagias wrote:
Yeah, but even though the router has customizable values for this
range, and issues a warning when i try to change them, it still
doesn't change them when I click "yes" on the warning. It is
pre-configured to 10.0.0.2-10.0.0.253

I could of course use 10.0.0.254 for my static ip, but my room mate
also wants a static address.
What are you trying to set it at? I would just lower the 253 value, so I could use the upper end for my static addresses. If you try to set it to a subnet outside it's own address, it will definitely not accept it.

I managed to change the router ip address to 10.0.0.1/23 and just
keep the default dhcp address space as 10.0.0.2-10.0.0.253. Now I
seem to be able to use 10.0.1.1/24 for my own private use.

(I don't think I really know what I'm doing here, but it works!)

Well, a netmask of 255.255.254.0 should give you 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.1.254 host addresses.
10.0.1.1 is within range, it should work.

Well problem is, a netmask of 255.255.255.0 means only the last octet can be used for hosts. Your DHCP server is already assigning addresses from this space.

Well, I changed it to 255.255.254.0 (0xfffffe00) but kept the dhcp
range as it was.

The DHCP range you are assigning is a subset of what you allowed with the netmask, thus it is valid.

So as long as I make my own DHCP server act the same way as the
router one, I should be fine? NAT and all will work?
Yes. As long as the clients have a valid DNS to ask, and a valid gateway to send their packets, everything will work properly. If you come to think about it, you are already doing this on the system with the static configuration.

Ok, I will look into this.

Also, looking through the telnet interface options (which are far
more than the web interface gives), I see that I can add "dhch
server option templates", "dhcp server option instances" and that I
can assign such an instance to the "dhcp server pool options".

Ah, yes completely forgot the speedtouch has a telnet interface as well. I messed with it a few times myself, mostly for fun ;)

This uses a different config scheme than the isc dhcp server config
files, though. And it seems I need to create a template before I can
create an instance. The template takes a name and an option id as
paramters. The instance, then takes a name, a template, and a value
as mandatory paramters. Also enterprice number, suboption number,
and more.

How does the "filename", "next-server", etc map to option ids? Are
these isomorphic, or do I get this completely wrong?

Does this make any sense to you, or anyone else here? Should I try
to make the router DHCP server serve the right options, or would you
go the isc dhcp route?

Thank you very much for your help so far!

        sv.

I have only done PXE with Windows servers, and it has been quite some time - cannot remember the details. I certainly would not advise you to use the router for this - even if it is possible it has several drawbacks.

- You will, sooner or later, change the router and your new one may not have the capability - You will spend a probably unreasonable amount of time trying to make it work - and it may not even succeed - Learning how to perform this on FreeBSD will help you apply it in many other situations.

I would definitely go the isc-dhcp route.