On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 06:29:01PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 06:46:33PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >             I've changed my mind:: if I go to 20" i can get widescreen
> >             with 1680x1050, so my current 1284x1024 would fit.  IFF
> >             xorg know what kind of beast this is:-)
>
> Xorg can "talk" to modern monitors using the ddc2 protocol (but only
> with a DVI connection, AFAICT). Effectively the monitor tells Xorg what
> it's capable of WRT resolutions, rehresh rates etc. It's pretty neat.

        So in effect, since all my connections are going thru mt old,
        analog KVM  switch, this won't work. Not only that, but my two
        desktops would need two new video cards.  So best to stick with
        the
        older standard ... until

                So in effect, since all my connections are going thru mt
                old, analog KVM  switch, this won't work. Not only that,
                but my two desktops would need two new video cards.  So
                best to stick with the older standard.

                gary

--
 Gary Kline  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix