>On 7/31/08, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Yesterday, I wrote about "CANNOT READ BLK" from my new hd that I
>> filled via firewire:
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-July/179646.html
>> The response suggested to check for faulty hardware, which I am still
>> trying to do.
>>
>> I found FreeBSD reporting the drive to have 128GB instead of 232GB as
>> FreeBSD did when the drive was connected via firewire. Searching the
>> web, I found one reference of someone else having problems with
>>>128/137GB using the same (latest) bios on this five year old
>> (Centrino) laptop (Acer TM800).
>
>FreeBSD has no such limit, at least not in recent versions (I'm using
>a 200 GB drive at this moment, and at home I have a system with a 500
>GB and a 750 GB drive). Your problem is caused either by the BIOS

I never said FreeBSD had a limit. With ddo, it works. (I am on 7.0.)

>lying to it (which is unlikely, because FreeBSD uses the BIOS value

Yes, it is the bios. With ddo, the full disk is available; ddo supposingly does
nothing but change the bios interrupt handlers.

>only for initial booting), or the hard drive itself lying. Does your

Are you sure about "only for initial booting"? If that was the case, I would
not understand why it shows "ad0: 238475MB" with ddo and "ad0: 131072MB"
without. Moreover, I tried writing to a sector beyond 128GB unsuccessfully
without ddo and successfully with ddo (using dd).

>drive have a jumper that causes it to report its capacity as 128GB for
>compatibility with older BIOSes? If so, remove the jumper and try
>again.

These is no such jumper. With Linux and Windows seeing the correct size
(without ddo), the drive must report it somehow correctly.

Either your claim that FreeBSD is not relying on the bios is wrong, or I
understand even less about the interaction of bios, drive, ddo handler, and os
than I thought I would. (Please, enlighten me, if you know more.)

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,
Jan Henrik