One last post on this topic... Unless I find a miracle.

Justin T. Gibbs, maintainer of the ahd adapter says:

"HostRAID arrays are not supported by FreeBSD - it requires a software RAID stack in the OS. XP has that, but we do not."

So while ahd can identify the Adaptec card, and the devices attached, FreeBSD cannot utilise the RAID functionality of the card :(

I hate definitive answers like this, but at least I know to stop fiddling.

Thank you all for your help

=^_^=

ps. If there are any magicians out there willing to make HostRAID work with FreeBSD I profess my undying love now :p