Subject: Re: src.conf: WITHOUT_SOMETHING
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 18:34:59 +0200
From: Redd Vinylene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Kevin Kinsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Redd Vinylene wrote:

Let's say I add WITHOUT_SOMETHING to /etc/rc.conf, and remake and
reinstall my world.

What will happen to the previous install of SOMETHING? Will it be
removed or just left there to rot?

Thank you!

Do you mean /etc/src.conf?

See build(7), particularly the delete-old and delete-old-libs
targets.

Kevin Kinsey

That is really awesome, thanks guys!

Yes, /etc/src.conf. Does this look alright for a dedicated FreeBSD
server? It runs jails, named, www, smtp, pop3, imap etc. I want to get
rid of everything I don't need:

WITHOUT_ACPI
WITHOUT_ASSERT_DEBUG
WITHOUT_ATM
WITHOUT_AUDIT
WITHOUT_AUTHPF
WITHOUT_GAMES
WITHOUT_I4B
WITHOUT_INFO
WITHOUT_IPFILTER
WITHOUT_IPX
WITHOUT_KERBEROS
WITHOUT_LIBKSE
WITHOUT_LPR
WITHOUT_NCP
WITHOUT_NETCAT
WITHOUT_NIS
WITHOUT_NLS
WITHOUT_NLS_CATALOGS
WITHOUT_PROFILE
WITHOUT_RCMDS
WITHOUT_SENDMAIL
WITHOUT_SHAREDOCS
WITHOUT_SSP
WITHOUT_USB
WITHOUT_WPA_SUPPLICANT_EAPOL

Reed, I'm not expert enough to comment on what you've
top-posted here (the contents of src.conf related to
your needs).  It does look like both of us forgot to
do the normal "reply-all" so I'm posting this back
to the FBSD Questions list.  I will mention that
not having sendmail, you may break something (but
I'm not sure if that particular knob means that there
will be no local mailer at all).  Cron(8), for example,
uses a local mailer to notify you of cronjob output,
and having cron work is a Good Thing(tm) in my experience
as a sysadmin.

KDK
--
I came to MIT to get an education for myself and a diploma for my mother.