I have a problem with on of my FreeBSD boxes. All of a sudden, it
started acting very badly: any process takes ages to start completely,
eating all CPU in the process:

  PID USERNAME  PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
  852 root       57   0  1528K   996K RUN      0:19 91.95% 59.81% top

root@ishtar ~ 1017:0 # time ps auxww
ps auxww  0.00s user 0.01s system 0% cpu 2.197 total
root@ishtar ~ 1018:0 #

compare a slower box:

root@lilith ~ 1005:0 # time ps auxww
ps auxww  0.00s user 0.02s system 64% cpu 0.036 total
root@lilith ~ 1006:0 #

This strangeness lasted for about 20 minutes, persisted across a reboot
(I pulled out the wrong cable...), and then just disappeared; the box
works as it should.

I know this is hard to asnwer, but what could have caused the effect,
and what should I be looking for if it happens again? There's nothing
especially interesting in /var/log/messages.

BTW, top showed swap wasn't used at all.