On Aug 2, 2008, at 8:19 AM, RW wrote:

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 06:22:17 -0400
"B. Cook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

hello all,

I have a machine doing backups with backuppc (excellent program btw)
and I have them being stored in /exports

/dev/ad4s1h     57G     31G     21G    60%    /exports

/dev/ad4s1h on /exports (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)

it is now almost 6:20 am and periodic has been running since 3:01..
and it will complete in another 4 hours..

root     92866  0.6  0.1  3064  1488  ??  D     3:01AM   1:00.93
find / exports -xdev -type f ( -perm -u+x -or -perm -g+x -or -perm
-o+x ) ( - perm -u+s -or -perm -g+s ) -print0

is there something I can do to get periodic to not look in /exports?

The above search is looking for setuid binaries, if you mount /exports
as noexec and/or nosuid then it wont get searched.

I will see what happens when I do that.. as I remember it did something to break the building of world and I think port building as well..

this /exports also holds /usr/obj /usr/src and /usr/ports they are symlinks to here.

Again from what I remember having nosuid and/or noexec on /usr/obj and/ or /usr/ports was a 'problem' as well..