I hit send too soon, the machine is:

FreeBSD www 6.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE #0: Wed Jan 16 04:18:52 UTC 2008 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

Tim Kellers wrote:
I found some OLD reports of this happening (back in 2001 or so), but I haven't seen anyone mention it.

On August 1st, my /var/log/maillog files started rolling over empty files, nightly, with only the "logfile turned over [date]" message in them.

Turns out, syslogd stopped running. As soon as I restarted it, and grepped for it:

# ps -ax | grep syslog
48049  ??  Ss     0:00.02 /usr/sbin/syslogd -s

It began running and my /var/log/maillog file has entries once again. I'm a little baffled; does anyone have any idea what might be going on or could maybe point me to a resource I might have missed that discusses it?

Thanks

Tim