Folks,

        Actually, I have two 'general-computer' type questions, but it
        might be better to ask them in separate posts.

        First about FBSD (6.x or 7.x) and newer vs older computers.
        First, 7.0 seems as stable or more so than its predecessor.
        It may even be faster and more efficient.  How much more
        "green" this is isn't a main question.

        But let's take my 1998 Computer each maxed out with a Gig or
        close to and having been upgraded to small 2005 drives. Would it
        make more sense from a environmental vp to buy a newer, faster
        servers with probably more efficient drives, or just buy new drives
        and stay at the current 400MHz speed?

        I kep track on the load on my main server, and it is rarely above
        0.20.  If the load is a poor metric of power use, what is
        better?  (My new `Watt-o-Meter' is checking the power right now,
        but I would like to know what drink the most juice: disk,RAM,
        processor, OpSys?  Number of hit/hours? I want my upgrades to
        be as cost-effective as possible, in other words.

        thanks in advance,

        gary

--
 Gary Kline  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix