The only common between the jail and the hosted system are the kernel and
its drivers.
You may use entirely different ports in the base system and into the
jailed enviroment. So you may keep your jailed ports up to date without
any concern as long as they do not conflict with the base system drivers
and etc.

Regards,

Ivailo Tanusheff
Deputy Head of IT Department
ProCredit Bank (Bulgaria) AD

Druckbar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
07.08.2008 13:15

freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
cc

Subject
Ports upgrade within Jail

Hello List,
i have a jail hosted on a 6-2 RELEASE machine i don't have access to. As
i don't have access, i can't upgrade the base system. But i would like
to keep the ports i use up to date.

Will i encounter problems if i just upgrade my ports using portsnap and
portmaster? or will those tools be aware of the version my base system
is and only use ports that are made for this version?

--
Thank you
manuel