You may consider trying chmod 660 filename.

660 -----> UGW, user group world.  For each read, write, and execute is
given a number, 4,2,1 repectively.  So, 660 would result in rw-rw----,  a
popluar format is 755, rwxr-xr-x.  You would simply replace add the numbers
together for each division and place them after chmod and before the file to
give the permissions you would like.