On Aug 8, 2008, at 2:44 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

        So besides the mac firewall [whatever], the laptop will be
        behind my pfSense box.  So... --and to be completely honest, the
        main reason for this >> $1000 laptop is *security*.  When she was
        younger I wasn't that concerned is some kiddie cracker learned
        that her favorite pet was a kitty.  Different now.

MacOS X comes with good old ipfw. Apple has added a 2nd firewall on top of that for 10.5, but apparently not pf.

        Another question: can I install X11 without it bothering whatever
        kind of mac front-end windowing comes with?  Be great if I could
        admin this BSD-based computer from my office.

Yes, Apple provides X11 as an optional install on the included system DVD, but not preloaded from the factory.

While you are loading X11 I suggest you also install Xcode. Then again I think Xcode was pre-installed on my Mac Pro. Xcode is Apple's software development environment.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]