From: "Sam Fourman Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:22 PM
To: "Drew Tomlinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: Video streaming with freeBSD

If the main purpose of your box is to be a PVR, I suggest going with a Linux distribution and using MythTV (http://www.mythtv.org). While I am a fan of FreeBSD as a web/mail/etc. server, it did not meet my needs when attempting to build a PVR. I found the Gentoo Linux distribution most comfortable for
me because it uses a "portage" system similar to the "ports" system of
FreeBSD.  Others I tried were package based and didn't always support my
hardware.

I would like to try and put together the most functional FreeBSD based PVR
system possible, even if it does have less functionality than it's
Linux counterpart.

does anyone have a recipe for a working FreeBSD based PVR?
if not post Ideas for software / configurations / Hardware, and I will
l make a web page
out of it.

install multimedia/MythTV from ports tree. doubt you will find a better PVR program.