On Aug 11, 2008, at 5:51 PM, Chris Hastie wrote:

I have a Dell PowerEdge 860 with SAS 5iR RAID controller and FreeBSD
6.2. The controller is configured for RAID 1. The controller is
recognised as mpt0 and seen as a SCSI device da0. All seems to be
working fine, but is there any way to tell if one of the disks fails?

I was thinking about this same question over the weekend. I have no idea what the answer is, but am hoping someone has one.

I'm pretty sure an answer exists... I have an Intel motherboard with a hardware raid controller. I'm sure the controller knows if a drive fails, and maybe even logs the event somewhere... I'm just not sure where. I'm going to try digging in the docs for my raid controller...

-- John