On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:25:48PM -0700, Steve Franks wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Roland Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > IIRC, all the libraries that WINE depends on also need to be available
> > in 32 bits. While not impossible nobody has spent any affort on this
> > because it's easier just to install i386.
> >
> > Roland
> >

> I suppose it's naive to think that some tool like portupgrade could be
> bent to build all the depends with -m32 as well?

This has been discussed earlier on the list. To summarize (and correct
me if I'm wrong, people) It should be possible to modify the ports
infrastructure to support this, but nobody has volunteered to spend the
effort to make it so, because it's much easier to install the i386
version.

Very few people actually _need_ to run amd64 (because they regularly run
out of address space on i386), especially on the desktop.

> I guess you'd wind
> up with a bunch of things you didn't want as 32-bit (i.e. XOrg?) being
> re-installed as 32bit, right?

Not completely. The X protocol works on 32 and 64 bit machines. But you
would need a 32-bit Xlib (talking to a 64-bit X server).

You can probably see that this would have significant consequences for
the ports infrastructure; having to record both 32- and 64-bit packages,
and the need to know which can work together.

> I don't suppose there's any infrastructure for simultaneously
> installing two versions of a port

Not at the moment, I think.

Roland