Iv. Karabojkov wrote:
Hi!

I am asking for recommendation. I'd like to use two SATA disks as RAID1 - mirror. My MB uses NVidia MCP6100 with hardware RAID.
Is it better to use this RAID or to build a new one using GEOM?
If I accidentally replace the MB will it be easy to reconfigure GEOM (for hardware RAID I know it is not if the chipset / SATA BIOS is not the same).

Usually this "hardware" RAID, is nothing more than software in a cheap circuit. The price of these mobos does not justify a real hardware RAID. I would go with GEOM.

And one more: Is network chip Realtek RTL8201 supported on FreeBSD? I didn't find it in rl or re drivers, some article says it is supported by nve or nfe ?!?

Thanks in advance,
Ivo

I believe you have an Nvidia card with a realtek phy. This works with the nfe driver (the following is from a MCP6100 mobo I am using as a server at a client):

nfe0: <NVIDIA nForce MCP61 Networking Adapter> port 0xe480-0xe487 mem 0xdfff9000-0xdfff9fff irq 23 at device 7.0 on pci0
miibus0: <MII bus> on nfe0
rlphy0: <RTL8201L 10/100 media interface> on miibus0
rlphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto