Stacey Roberts wrote:
Hi,
  I'm trying to get Compiz-Fusion + Gnome to work on my newly (completed
installation + initial upgrades last night) installed IBM T43p notebook,
but I'm not sure that I'm doing this right..,

Basically, I've: -

1] Installed OS
2] Upgraded OS to latest Stable as of (early AM) Aug 17th 2008
3] Upgraded install-time ports (portupgrade, cvsup, etc)
4] Installed XORG
5] Installed compiz-fusion from ports
6] installed gnome2 from ports
7] Tried following instructions located here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/compiz-fusion/index.html

I can log into Gnome desktop fine, but running the suggested cmds:

% compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
% emerald --replace &

as per the article above, doesn't appear to do anything. I mean, what else
is there that I need to do, besides, please?

Here's some system info:

$ uname -a
FreeBSD <snipped> 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #0: Sat Aug
16 19:49:12 BST 2008
root@<snipped>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IRON  i386
$ pkg_info -a | grep -i compiz-fusion | head -3
compiz-fusion-plugins-main-0.6.0_2
compiz-fusion-plugins-extra-0.6.0_2
compiz-fusion-0.6.0_1
$ pkg_info -a | grep -i gnome2-2 | head -1
gnome2-2.22.3
$ pkg_info -a | grep -i xorg-server | head -1
xorg-server-1.4.2,1
$
Graphics card: ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Mobility Radeon X300]

The article deals with nvidia-driver only.
I currently don't have any ATI card, hence I can't find the settings required in xorg.conf for this to work.
If I get a chance to try ATI, I will update the article.
(I am planning to update it for Intel cards though)
Any help or pointers appreciated, please.

Thanks!

Well, the best I can say is:

- Verify that 3D is working on this card with the open source driver (you don't have a choice of drivers anyway) - Check whether compiz-fusion works in Linux with this particular card and the open source driver.
- If it does, find a suggested xorg.conf and compare it to yours.