On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:41:08AM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Monday, August 18, 2008 16:43:23 -0700 Gary Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> >     Guys,
> >
> >     Im looking at the kdmrc file but don't see anything wrong.
> >     Any ideas where to llook next?
>
> I use kde every day, and I don't have a kdmrc file.

        If you installed KDE, you have it. In kde3 it's at
        /usr/local/share/config/kdm/kdmrc

> You can start kde several ways.  One way is to login as root and type "kdm"
> at the prompt.  Another is to edit /etc/ttys the way the Handbook
> describes.  (You can read that yourself.)  Another way is to use an xinitrc
> file.  (That's in the Handbook as well.)

        I haven't edited /etc/ttys yet; I may.  But I think something got
        broken [mis-CLEANED by fsck or otherwise damanaged during the
        weekend power-out].

        It may be easier to completely remove v3 and re-install kde4.

> The reason kdm can't create its pid file is most likely because you're
> trying to start it under your account instead of root.

        I'm pretty sure I was in ./root or slash when I logged in.
        I'm using KDE now, sort-of, by virture of startx.  Still, lots of
        misc things were not initialized.

        gary

        gary

--