John Almberg wrote:
I'm a newbie admin and I've just figure out something that will be obvious to most on this list... that apache log files can get big, fast.

What apache version you are using? rotatelogs syntax differ a lot between them.

Version - Apache/2.2.6 (FreeBSD) mod_ssl/2.2.6 OpenSSL/0.9.7m DAV/2 PHP/5.2.5 with Suhosin-Patch

rotatelogs doesn't seem to have a --version argument, but if I just type it on the command line it prints out the following usage message:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:www]> rotatelogs

Add this:

TransferLog "|rotatelogs /some/where 86400"

or

TransferLog "|rotatelogs /some/where 5M"

to httpd.conf. The generated name will be /some/where.nnnn where nnnn is the system time at which the log nominally starts (N.B. if using a rotation time, the time will always be a multiple of the rotation time, so you can synchronize cron scripts with it). At the end of each rotation time or when the file size
is reached a new log is started.