On Aug 20, 2008, at 8:48 AM, Rudi Kramer - MWEB wrote:

Zbigniew Szalbot
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:14 PM
To: User Questions
Subject: logrotate question

Dear all,

I am trying to use logrotate from ports and I am getting the following
error. Can anyone offer any insight?

Hi Zbigniew,

I started investigating logrotate but someone put me on to newsyslog
instead.
Newsyslog is part of the FreeBSD and amazing simple to setup:

1) vi /etc/newsyslog.conf

2) Add the following line:

/var/log/httpd/*.log www:www         644  60    *   @T00    BJG
/var/run/httpd.pid

I would recommend reading man pages newsyslog newsyslog.conf for more
info.

I use newsyslog for other log files, but when I decided I needed to rotate apache logs, recently (see "rotatelogs rotates logs too quickly" thread), I read the following in "Absolute FreeBSD, 2nd edition"

"If you simply use newsyslog to rotate your [Apache] logs as you do for other programs, Apache will corrupt its own logs. Apache supports logging to programs, however. I recommend handling your logs via rotatelogs(8), included with Apache."

It took me a whole day to switch over to rotatelogs and then investigate some odd behavior, but its working great now.

-- John