David Gurvich wrote:
I've installed the kde4 packages for freebsd-7-stable and the only
program that I've tested that doesn't work is konqueror, that has
problems with speed and stability, terminal emulator does not work,
and leaves zombie processing to take up memory.  I noticed 10 konqueror
processes after having closed the last konqueror window about 20
minutes before.

Has anyone noticed that the longer kde4 runs the slower it gets?  I
don't mean a little slower, I mean like the difference between
windowmaker and kde startup.  That may have something to do with the
machine I've done this on, a thinkpad T23 with 1GB ram.

My KDE4.1 has been up for a few days now, and I have not really noticed it getting slower. It definitely is slower than any other desktop I've tried, and certainly slower than KDE3.5. I have some issues with Nvidia driver and transparency (sometimes parts of the taskbar, mostly buttons, become transparent), it is not very serious problem though. I had no crashes and it is certainly usable. The machine is no speed daemon either; an Athlon 64 3200+ with 2G of RAM and a 7300GT that just about manages the 1680x1050 resolution in KDE4.
Finally, kde4 looks nice but I don't see anything I would change from
kde3 for, though fonts do look better to me than in kde3.

Strange, every machine that I installed KDE4 I had to tweak font settings to get them to look good. Never had to do this with 3.5 (though I had to do it with GNOME)

  This may
change if the speed improves.  If all other aspects are equal I like
having better looking desktop.

Yes, I think KDE4.x is a step in the right direction for the KDE desktop. It may have its problems now, but it definitely looks nice.

As a sidenote, I uploaded (and currently seeding) a torrent with KDE 4.1 packages and an installer script (intended for new FreeBSD installs) here:

http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=c08d546327215f32f566f6d215ba30fff952692c

(also on tuxdistro, but this seems to have a problem at the moment)

I built all the packages on a dedicated machine. Newer versions of xorg, bash, samba and a few others are also included.