On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 06:04:27PM -0400, B. Cook wrote:
> hey all,
>
> Looking for opinions..
>
> We are going to be getting a server for drupal, running lighttpd and
> php, as well as exim and SA with clamav, courier or dovecot, mysql
> 51.. etc.
>
> Right now this setup does about 200G per month (we have two boxes) and
> were looking at getting one box to do it all (business department
> reasons) and assuming it would be doing double the work.. we would be
> looking at a single box running 600GB max per month in traffic (about
> 2Mb/sec)..
>
> We would be (hopefully) be going with sas drives instead of the sata
> we have atm.  Not trying to make this a debate about hardware but..
>
> The question of at least 4G of ram came up.. and we starting debating
> about PAE or just going with x64..
>
> we would not be using zfs, we would be running RELENG_7_0.
>
> again, looking for opinions on PAE vs x64 for this type of setup.
>
> Thanks in advance

In my experience, PAE is brittle and has limited driver support. I'm just
not a fan of it, I prefer 64 bit. In the long run 64 bit is the path of
least resistance but your mileage may vary.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 6.3
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |   Micro$oft free world  | Berkeley, Ca.