On 21 aug 2008, at 18:05, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

Yesterday night at 1 a.m. I have managed to remove /etc/groups (rm instead of vi, was already sleepying). Luckily only a few groups (2-3) was created earlier. No backup, "of course".

I believe the file system is still correct, it uses group IDs instead of names (?). Though ls does not show the correct group names (only IDs) and creating new groups will reuse the old group IDs.

Is there any better way of rebuilding /etc/groups than guessing and manually adding one-by-one.

Can I somehow list all group IDs used by the file system?

Many thanks.

Balazs