Just an addition:

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:14:39 +0200, "DA Forsyth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> you want to do
> man rcs
> and start using RCS to track changes to your important system files.
> That way, if you delete one you can just check it out of the RCS
> store.  'backups with history'

You can use CVS (comes with the FreeBSD system), too:

        % man cvs

I found it to be a very comfortable system to manage file
changes on the path of my own software development (document
progress, undo "bad" inventions, checkin and checkout even
with multiple contributors).

Using CVS to manage self made system configuration files
is, by the way, a very good idea I never thought of. I'll
see if I like this concept.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany