Windows XP Pro.  If I want all of these systems to be able to read and write
to the drive, what file system should I use?  I know fat32 is pretty
universal, but is it advisable?

yes, just don't put too many small files on it as it's wasteful.
and don't put too big files (in order of many GB) too, because it gets slow then.

but yes - it's the only FS really portable. not because it's good (exactly opposite) but because it's very simple to implement and it's common, so every OS has fat16/32 support.

the other solution is to use unix UFS, and install UFS driver for windoze, which exist AFAIK (at least i had this for win98 some time ago).