Mark Picone, Trainee Unix Administrator
Information Technology Services Division
Phone:   03 5227 8602   International: +61 3 5227 0806
Fax:     03 5227 8799   International: +61 3 5227 8799
Email:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: http://www.deakin.edu.au

IMO: Pure copper zalman heatsink/fan combo (cant go wrong)

> q:  is there a short list of manufacturers
>        who are "generally accepted" as
>        producers of reliable products
>        [ as is, e. g., antec, for cases and power_supplies ] ?
IMO: Antec/Super Micro

> q:  conversely,
>        are there any manufacturers with justifiably bad reputations ?
>

> i have seen several diameters described as appropriate for the 775.
>
> q:  should i prefer any particular size ?
No

> wakefield is still around, but there are other names.
>
> q:  are there any opinions, pro or con, about thermal compounds ?
Eh? We are talking a few degrees here.