Redd Vinylene wrote:
On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Giorgos Keramidas
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 17:31:22 +0200, "Redd Vinylene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Why can't I make world without the "games" group? I run a serious
server, not a kindergarten ;)

I don't want the games group there, I just don't need it!
Have you tried building with an src.conf file that includes:

   WITHOUT_GAMES='yes'

It' not a matter of `kindergarten or not', but a matter of providing a
predictable `base system' by default and all the knob and documentation
to customize it at will.  That's why you can find a lot of customization
options in the manpage of src.conf(5).

For example, on a `production server' that is a bit limited in space,
and doesn't really need compilers, debuggers, profiling tools, or three
different firewalls, I would probably build with:

   WITHOUT_CVS=yes
   WITHOUT_GAMES='yes'
   WITHOUT_GCOV=yes
   WITHOUT_GDB=yes
   WITHOUT_IPFILTER=yes
   WITHOUT_IPX=yes
   WITHOUT_OBJC=yes
   WITHOUT_PROFILE=yes
   WITHOUT_SHAREDOCS=yes

I would also use WITHOUT_TOOLCHAIN=yes during `make installworld' runs,
to skip installing all the gcc, g++ and debugger tools.

The default `base system' still installs all these parts, but you are
definitely *not* obliged to always install all of them.

- Giorgos

Hello hello!

Yeah I actually tried that, but I got the same error.

I don't see why the FreeBSD team has to insist on keeping this, pardon
my language, bullshit. If some sorry guy actually needs this, why
can't he load it as a module, or install a port?

To quote some Frenchman: "Perfection is achieved, not when there's
nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to take away."

I worry slightly as I watch FreeBSD become bigger and bigger, fearing
that some day it'll all come tumbling down!

Try to relax and calm down a bit. The games user is a left-over remnant of something that has ALWAYS been part of BSD, but *was* already mostly removed from FreeBSD some years ago (the actual games are now in the ports tree). It is not some insidious creeping bloat that has been added while you weren't looking.

Kris