I have some servers with IPMI that allow me to have a serial console. I have setup a serial console config on my servers and it seems to work reasonably well in remote emergencies, but causes serious problems if I ever have to use the real console.

It means that I can't use single user mode from the real console and I can't see most boot errors.

Is there a way I can turn off the console redirection from the physical console interactively on startup?

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html

We put -P in /boot.config so that if a keyboard is detected then the screen is the console. No keyboard means serial console.