Hello,

I have a central FreeBSD 7.0 router running pf with SERVERS and USERS1 and
USERS2 networks
attached to it.

I also have some Sybase SQL servers on SERVERS network, which use broadcasts to
announce
themselves to the network. Before, when there were no separate segments,
everything worked fine
of course.

My question: is there any way to "proxy" (forward) broadcast requests from
USERS1 to the
SERVERS network? So the users in USERS* networks could find Sybase SQL servers
via broadcasts?

I tried something like this in my test environment (tried to NAT broadcasted
DNS requests,
just for trying if pf could do it):

nat on $ServersInterface from 192.168.3.100 to 192.168.1.255 -> 192.168.1.1
rdr pass on $UsersInterface proto udp from 192.168.3.100 to 192.168.3.255 port
53 -> 192.168.1.255

(3.100 is a client from USERS1, 1.1 is the router)

But this doesn't seem to be working (no translated packets on the interfaces).
I guess it's
impossible?

I also analyzed traffic when Sybase client searches for servers - it sends one
broadcast packet
(UDP) to port 2638 and servers reply directly to the client with UDP reponse
packet.

Thanks,
Nejc