Brian McCann wrote:
Hi all.  I'm having some problems with several servers I've built
recently (7.0-RELEASE) that are using gjournal.  I had two reboot a
few days ago (un-related to FreeBSD problems I think)...but when they
came back up, the file systems wouldn't mount since they were not
clean.  Now, I understand that UFS knows nothing about the fact that
it's journaled, and the journaling knows nothing about UFS...but it's
my understanding that by using gjournal, you should really never need
to fsck a file system.  However, the only way to get them to mount is
by doing the fsck.  Is there something else I should be doing instead
of fsck?

And since I know it will probably come up, I built the file systems
using the instructions and notes at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=gjournal&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+7.0-RELEASE&format=html.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
--Brian

You may wish to have a look at this article:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/gjournal-desktop

In particular, you should make sure you use tunefs to enable Journaling and disable soft update on the journaled filesystems, i.e.:

tunefs -J enable -n disable /dev/ad0s1f.journal

Mount them using the async option:

/dev/ad0s1f.journal     /usr            ufs     rw,async        2       2

Note that the pass # still indicates the filesystem should be checked. While I was writing the article, I was trying several scenarios were I had the pass # set to 0, thinking that a gjournaled filesystem would not need fsck at all. I would then press the reset button. In most cases, the system would refuse to mount them. However with the pass # set, the fsck would finish almost immediately, since the actual consistency check takes place when the gjournal module is loaded (you will get a "journal consistent" after a bad reboot) and before fstab is even parsed. All fsck does in this case is simply confirm to the system it is a clean volume.

In short, leaving the pass # to something that would cause an fsck is the safe way to go. The fsck will be almost instant anyway.