I'm trying to compile gd 2.0.11 but it can't seem to find the headers for PNG.  This
is strange since it finds the headers for JPEG, FreeType and XPM without any problem
and they're all in the same place.

I've tried different varations of --with-png=DIR none seem to allow it find the PNG
headers.  I've done many searches on google and google groups but none seem to offer
any advice for this problem.  I have png-1.2.5_1 installed on my FreeBSD 5.0 system.

Thanks for the help.

This is the section of the ./configure where it seems to get tripped up:

checking for png_create_read_struct in -lpng... no
configure: WARNING: libpng is required - see http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/
checking for freetype-config... /usr/local/bin/freetype-config
checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... yes
checking freetype/freetype.h usability... yes
checking freetype/freetype.h presence... yes
checking for freetype/freetype.h... yes
checking whether it's freetype 2... yes
checking for jpeg_set_defaults in -ljpeg... yes
checking for XpmReadFileToXpmImage in -lXpm... yes

** Configuration summary for gd 2.0.11:

   Support for PNG library:          no
   Support for JPEG library:         yes

This is a listing of my /usr/local/lib directory:

[19:23:47 root@little_boy: /usr/local/lib]# ls
apache2            libexpat.so.4            liblber.a       libspgrove.so
compat             libfreetype.a            liblber.so      libspgrove.so.1
libcharset.a       libfreetype.so           liblber.so.2    libstyle.so
libcharset.so      libfreetype.so.9         libldap.a       libstyle.so.1
libcharset.so.1    libgettextlib-0.11.5.so  libldap.so      libtiff.a
libcups.a          libgettextlib.so         libldap.so.2    libtiff.so
libcups.so         libgettextsrc-0.11.5.so  libldap_r.a     libtiff.so.4
libcups.so.2       libgettextsrc.so         libldap_r.so    libungif.a
libcupsimage.a     libgrove.so              libldap_r.so.2  libungif.so
libcupsimage.so    libgrove.so.1            libltdl.a       libungif.so.5
libcupsimage.so.2  libiconv.a               libltdl.so      libz.a
libdb3.a           libiconv.so              libltdl.so.1    m3
libdb3.so          libiconv.so.3            libpng.a        mysql
libdb3.so.3        libintl.a                libpng.so       perl5
libdb3_cxx.a       libintl.so               libpng.so.5     perllocal.pod
libdb3_cxx.so      libintl.so.4             libruby.so      python2.1
libdb3_cxx.so.3    libjpeg.a                libruby.so.16   ruby
libexpat.a         libjpeg.so               libsp.so
libexpat.so        libjpeg.so.9             libsp.so.1

Randomly Generated Quote:
May I please be excused? My Brain is full.

Mike Loiterman
PGP Key 0xD1B9D18E
http://www.ascendency.net