> FreeBSD has supported 64-bit architectures for a while now...  Alpha
> and UltraSPARC come to mind--even if Alpha is no longer a Tier 1
> architecture.  I'm surprised to hear so many of you say that certain
> ports are broken on AMD64.  I would think if they worked on other
> 64-bit processors they'd work on AMD64.  Were the ports that are
> broken on AMD64 also broken on those other architectures, too?

Most of the ports I've had problems with are desktop applications.
Stuff that doesn't often get installed/used on 64 bit.  It's been a
while since we've tried (about 1 year) but Gnome was pretty unstable
on 64 bit at the time.

Can't say if this is universal across all 64 bit platforms.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com