Jim Pazarena wrote:
I changed from 4.1.22 to 5.1.26.rc and my performance in a very busy db,
tanked!

could the use of an 'rc' possibly be my issue?

is there any chance that the 'rc' has debugging enabled which is slowing me down?
Hello,

I've ran some tests just this past week (in fact I emailed freebsd-general about this yesterday), unfortunately however it was comparing performance between 5.0.51 and 5.1.26.

http://paul.procacci.me/benchmarks/freebsd7-Release.html

5.1 performs worse than 5.0 at higher workloads. I'm unsure about 4, but am quite sure moving to 5.0 is probably the best decision you could make.

~Paul