At 05:03 PM 8/31/2008 -0600, Lloyd M Caldwell wrote:
Hello,

this all on a 7.0 freebsd system.

Dump/Restore do NOT work as indicated in the handbook (or man pages). It would be better to remove information from the handbook rather then have information that doesn't work.

Are you trying to resize the same disc or migrate to a NEW disk?

Migrating to a new (larger) disc is trivial, at least in my experience.
(I have never tried to resize any partitions though on a same disc, since new hard drives are cheap enough)

Here is what I do to migrate to a totally new disc:

Shutdown and install 2nd DRIVE
boot machine...
run sysinstall on the 2nd DRIVE (slice/dice/and setup MBR)

then I run a small script like this:
(Some presumptions are made ahead of time here)

#!/bin/sh

newfs /dev/ad2s1a
newfs /dev/ad2s1d
newfs /dev/ad2s1e
newfs /dev/ad2s1f
newfs /dev/ad2s1g
newfs /dev/ad2s1h
sleep 4
tunefs -n enable /dev/ad2s1a
tunefs -n enable /dev/ad2s1d
tunefs -n enable /dev/ad2s1e
tunefs -n enable /dev/ad2s1f
tunefs -n enable /dev/ad2s1g
tunefs -n enable /dev/ad2s1h
sleep 4
mount /dev/ad2s1a /mnta
mount /dev/ad2s1d /mntd
mount /dev/ad2s1e /mnte
mount /dev/ad2s1f /mntf
mount /dev/ad2s1g /mntg
mount /dev/ad2s1h /mnth

dump -C 32 -0Lf - / | ( cd /mnta ; restore xf - )
dump -C 32 -0Lf - /usr | ( cd /mntd ; restore xf - )
dump -C 32 -0Lf - /var | ( cd /mnte ; restore xf - )
dump -C 32 -0Lf - /home | ( cd /mntf ; restore xf - )
dump -C 32 -0Lf - /staff | ( cd /mntg ; restore xf - )
dump -C 32 -0Lf - /users | ( cd /mnth ; restore xf - )

umount /mnt*

Then shut down.
Place the 2nd drive in the 1st slot and turn it back on.

Maybe there is a better or simpler way, but I have been doing this for years
and never had any issues.

YMMV

-JD