Jonathan Belson wrote:
Matthew Seaman wrote:
Yes.  root is specifically exempted from all the masquerading stuff.
There's an EXPOSED_USER macro you can use in $(hostname).mc to control
that.

Ah, that explains it. There doesn't seem to be a way to remove exposed users, but there is a web page explaining how to stop 'root' being added as a default exposed user:

http://www.grok.org.uk/docs/smroot.html

Instead of doing this, I've told periodic.conf to send its output to my local account on the server, and added a .forward file to pass the e-mail to my 'real' address. Hopefully this will play nicely with sendmail's masquerading.

Of course it didn't as the e-mail's sender was still 'root' :-S I ended up following the instructions from the web page above, and after initially getting caught out by the difference between 'dnl' and '#' I finally have a configuration that works.

Thanks,

--Jon