Chris wrote:
I've toyed with LDAP accounts before to get them to work. But now I'm going to put it into production.

I'm wondering though about user and group management. When ports are installed on individual servers, users and groups are sometimes added for daemons. It would be nice to receive notification and possibly block and or redirect actions to appropriate scripts and the LDAP server.

Are there any ports or mechanisms for hooking into the scripts and programs that handle account modification (chpass, adduser and pw) or does everyone typically do this sort of thing by hand?

smbldap-tools (in ports) is a collection of scripts that does this, mainly developed with Samba in mind. I'm sure there are others too.

Best,
--per