{ After spending hours looking for a used ThinkPad....}

On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 01:53:46PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 20:36:45 -0700, Gary Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >     So you're saying that the "white" on my [monster] CRT is not the
> >     same as on a future LCD Display?  rats:)
>
> Exactly. And compare the "black", too, best way to differentiate
> with CRT and LCD side by side with a fullscreen color "black".

        Isn't it dark-gray, tho? or as "black" as a dark tube gets,
        rather than "true-black"?

> > --I can't see much
> >     difference in my new laserjet from my HP500 DeskJet, but then it
> >     wasn't a main concern ... .
>
> Human perception is another thing. Just because *I* can't notice
> something, it doesn't imply that (1) others can't and (2) it isn't
> there. In order to make a human person *feel* the change of a
> sensory input is linear (e. g. the light intensity increases), you
> need to increase the actual input in a logarithmic way.
>
> http://www.neuro.uu.se/fysiologi/gu/nbb/lectures/WebFech.html

        tHis I'll check out; you've piqued my curiousity, even tho this
        gets further from whatever I was talking about:-)  ...Not only
        are the psychological varioations, but neurophysiological ones as
        well.  And gender diffs too.  My better two-thirds says that I
        may as well be color-blind, and she's probably right.  What I
        will avoid is having some *Ugly* combos like black on dark blue.
        No, I am Not kidding.  Or yellow typeface on White bg.  It's like
        the shriek/skreek of chalk against a blackboard.  Makes my skin crawl.

> >     I took all 5 quarters of physics, like most of us, but never got
> >     far into optics.
>
> Physics comes in 5 quarters? 5 * 0.25 = 1.25... :-)
>

> >  And certainly, nothing like *this*.
>
> I learned about this when I studied psychology and computational
> visualistics, but the RGB vs. CMY stuff (additive and subtractive
> color combination) was part of the basal school education in the
> GDR.

        You got me there, man.  I took plenty of psych courses over the
        years, but nothing involving computation.  Congrats.

> >  the
> >     quality of my writing is much more important that the colors of
> >     typeface or background.
>
> I really applaud this attitude. You won't find them very often
> across the web, sadly, because "style is more important than content".
> I've seen things, man, ...

        Hm. About the only time form/style can top function/contact,
        IMHO, is when you're being forced to watch a very nicely
        stylized ad.  {On the web.}  I've seen a couple.  O/wise, the way
        a piece works wins.  I listened to an interview on NPR several
        months ago who said that, "I think of people who don't watch web
        advertisement as thieves," or sometime similar.  Isn't a primary
        function of the web to allow *us* to control what we see?

> >  But this is an interesting side-bar.
>
> It's a very important topic to know about when you're doing DTP
> stuff. Exact color calibration is very important in this field.
> So you can understand why there's still a niche market for quality
> CRT monitors and quality printing devices. Of course, color
> temperatures and other settings like contrast and brightness
> are to be considered, too.

        Sure, but I'll happy leave this niche to people more qualified.
        I'm below the bottom/barrel here.

> >     Really!  So far, in my tests [staring at a CRT], I find an
> >     off-white reads most easily against a very dark blue. 000033;
> >     or whatever 333366 is.  Still experimenting.
>
> it's very individual how colors are percepted. If someone with
> deuteranopia looks at certain color combinations where others
> may say: "Looks good!", they could say: "I don't see text there."
>
> At least for printed material, black on white is good, and it
> even can be used for projection media (beamer).

        i May be off on this one, but I'm seeing more dark grays on my
        ink+paper journals.  Hard to tell since with the years sight
        loses sharpness as our lenses become sclerotic and full of gunk.
        Which all goes back to the original point:: what's the best
        --oh, no-- what *are* the best combinations of off-white and
        darkgray, bluegray, or almost-black-bluegray?

> When I was at university, some guys put up a presentation with
> black text on dark bluie background, 10pt serife font. Bah!
> Unreadable in the last row.

        didn't i mumble something like this above?  25 years ago my eyes
        were much better, but not That much.  i hope someone complained
        ... seriously.

--
 Gary Kline  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix