On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 04:09:12PM +1000, Ian Smith wrote:

> I had no trouble dropping a 120GB Fujitsu into my T23 recently (was
> 30GB), so I expect 160GB would be fine, especially in a much later
> model.  And 2GB is likely plenty for anything but Microsloth Vasta.
>
> Something to consider is what type of RAM it uses, eg the older PC133
> 144-pin SDRAM I need for my T23 is now very expensive, ~U$70 per 512MB
> stick, or around A$100 shipped, where newer RAM is a fraction of that.
>
>  >
>  > As an example (T-41):
>  >
>  > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-58183.html
>
> I've never heard of a uniprocessor Thinkpad running anywhere near 3GHz,
> but then there's lots I've never heard of .. but the T41[/p] only goes
> to 1.7GHz according to the above URL, so it must be a much later model.
>
> On a quick check, the fastest T43 seems to be a Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz.

        [[ ... ]]

> Well I certainly wouldn't buy a Thinkpad I didn't have the EXACT model
> number of, when that reveals the CPU type/speed, HD and RAM originally
> fitted, CD/CDRW/DVD[RW], screen size, video card, wireless etc options.
>
> Maybe you (Gary) could post an URL illustrating one of these machines?
>

> As in, what's the RGB code for Thinkpad Black? :)

        Ian, how about "#trublk" :-)

        okay, the long/short of it is that i spent last night anf this
        morning asking several .com places that sold used TP's if

        1) they would sell me the laptop without Windose and credit me.
        2) they had an uniprocs >= 2.2 and <= 3.0
        3) they would do upgrade or
        4) provide me with the upgrade into.

        I found some dual-core that were like 1.7GHz- 2.2GHz.  sound
        right?

        several had large ~(120G) drive, 1G RAM.  .LT. $800, which is not
        that bad.  A wweek ago I asked a "Live Chat" person about
        scrubbing the Windows; it was "No; sold as-is."

        Of note: when I checked that discountpc place, the 3.0Ghz was
        gone; the other were from 1.2 to 2.0GHz.  More disappointing was
        the sloppy" way some site had listed their TP's. E.G.: 2000GHz
        and other careless errors.   Makes you wonder how far these
        places have to dim the lights when they are paying their
        employees... .

        gary

--
 Gary Kline  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix