On Saturday 20 September 2008 23:13:33 David Horn wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 11:35 AM, beni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a question about IPv6.
> > I installed /net/freenet6 and edited the /usr/local/etc/gw6c.conf file
> > with the login and password given by Go6.net.
> > I added freenet6_enable="YES", ipv6_enable="YES" and
> > ipv6_network_interfaces="vr0 tun0" to my /etc/rc.conf.
> > An ifconfig shows this :
> > bsdaddict# ifconfig vr0
> > vr0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> >        options=2808<VLAN_MTU,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MAGIC>
> >        ether 00:0c:76:c2:2c:b7
> >        inet6 fe80::20c:76ff:fec2:2cb7%vr0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
> >        inet 192.168.1.101 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
> >        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
> >        status: active
> > bsdaddict#
> > So I think the installation of ipv6 is ok : surfing to
> > http://go6.net/4105/freenet.asp says "You are using IPv6 from ...". But
> > in X-chat, when connecting to Freenode p.ex., I get this :
> >
> >  FreebsdBeni n=FreeBSD 213.219.143.49.adsl.dyn.edpnet.net :You are now
> > logged in. (id FreebsdBeni, username n=FreeBSD, hostname
> > 213.219.143.49.adsl.dyn.edpnet.net)
>
> Even if you have properly setup/configured a tunnel to provide IPv6,
> does not mean that IPv4 goes away.  You are running in dual stack mode
> (both IPv4, and IPv6 active)  You may want to read up a little bit on
> IPv6 details and background in the FreeBSD handbook
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-ipv6.html
>
> and in the go6.net wiki (among lots of other good IPv6 articles.
> Google is your friend here.)
>
> http://wiki.go6.net/index.php?title=IPv6_transition_mechanisms
>
> Most applications that are IPv6 aware will default to using IPv6 if
> everything is setup properly.  This includes giving an IPv6 capable
> DNS name to your IRC client. (ipv6.chat.us.freenode.net and
> ipv6.chat.eu.freenode.net are a few that are IPv6)
>
> I'm not much of an IRC user myself, but I see that several of the
> ports of xchat are IPv6 enabled.  You did not specify what version of
> Xchat you are using, so I can't comment further there.  Make sure you
> are using a version of xchat that supports IPv6, and that you are
> using the appropriate IPv6 freenode DNS name.
>
> You can also find a listing of IPv6 capable application ports over on
> http://www.freshports.org/ipv6/
>
> > And that is not a ipv6 address. So what am I missing here ? Is it my
> > config or is my isp converting my ipv6 back to ipv4 ?
>
> It is your config.  An ISP can not really "automagically" change you
> from IPv6 to IPv4 when you have a tunnel active.  You do not provide
> an ifconfig for your tunnel interface (tun0), so it is hard to tell
> what your configuration looks like.
>
> Can you ping6 the site in question ? (ie:  ping6 ipv6.chat.us.freenode.net)
>
> > Thanks for any hints on this.
> > --
> > Beni.

It seems that I was, indeed using the wrong server to connect me to :
the "normal" IPv6 instead of the ipv6-servers (the ping6 works). So now all
seems ok.
Didn't know about those IPv6 capable application port on Freshports though.
Will definitely check those, thanks for the link and your explications !

--
Beni.