----- Original Message ----- From: "David Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: Dealing with portscans

On 9/22/08, Greg Larkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
David Allen wrote:
Over the last few weeks I've been getting numerous ports scans, each from
unique hosts.  The situation is more of an annoyance than anything else,
but I would prefer not seeing or having to deal with an extra 20-30K
entries in my logs as was the case recently.

I use pf for firewalling, and while it does offer different methods
(max-src-conn, max-src-conn-rate, etc.) for dealing with abusive hosts, it
doesn't seem to offer much in the way of dealing with repeated blocked
(non-stateful) connection attempts from a given host.

Short of running something like snort, is there a suitable tool for
dealing with this?  If not, I'll probably resort to running a cronjob to
parse the logfile and add the offending hosts manually.

Hi David,

You might want to try security/portsentry from the ports tree.  It's a
bit dated, and it has no maintainer at the moment, but a cursory glance
at it tells me it might work for you.  It supports pf for blocking
connections once your trigger conditions are met.

I'll give it a try.

FWIW, I did discover that parsing the log files to get a list of
offending hosts (denied a number of times above a given certain
threshold) wasn't really as slow or troublesome as I thought.  That
slightly hackish approach might be useful for port scans in addition
to the various rubbish I get sent.

Thanks to both you and Jeff Laine for the replies.

Hiyas,

Would it work with IPFW or just PF?

Can PF and IPFW run at the same time?

-Grant