On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 08:24 -0400, George Fazio wrote:
> Da Rock wrote:

> >> When you say courier-imap client, do you mean you're using maildrop to
> >> deliver the message to the user's maildir or that there is an end-user
> >> courier-imap client?  I am only familiar with the maildrop piece of
> >> courier.

> >> This is a classic case of over engineering.  You do not want to bcc back
> >> to the user, or filter the mta, just move the outgoing messages to the
> >> sent folder.  You might need bcc for the purposes of journaling all
> >> email, if you have any legal requirement (sox, hippa, etc.) that require
> >> it.  But, that it another ball of wax entirely.

> >> If the end-user's client is using imap and configured properly, it
> >> should do this for you.  Thurderbird, the full version of Outlook (and
> >> probably Express), and many other clients support this natively - you
> >> just have to make sure the client is configured to do that.  Typically,
> >> in the configuration of the client, there is something that says
> >> something like "save a copy of sent messages to <folder of choice>".  I
> >> don't know what client you're using.  I use Pine/Alpine, Thunderbird,
> >> and Outlook (when I have no other choice).
> >>
> >> If the end-user's client is using pop, then you have a problem that may
> >> require a custom solution like you speak of above.

> >> My mail system is running postfix (mta) w/ dovecot (for imap or pop
> >> access from the clients), maildrop (for delivering to a maildir), and
> >> amavis-new (for spam filtering and virus scanning w/ clamav).  My mail
> >> clients are configured for imap, and they save copies of sent mail to
> >> the sent folder as expected.  While I am using dovecot, and not courier,
> >> for my imap server - I cannot imagine that any other imap server would
> >> handle things any differently ... it's core functionality that ever imap
> >> server should have imho.
> >>
> >> -George
> >>

> > Me too. It may be possible to save a copy in evolution, but I haven't
> > found it in all clients. Plus my system needs to be suitable for a
> > webmail system, and yes some pop clients.
> >
> > You sound like you know maildrop very well, I was considering using it
> > as a part of the solution. If I wrote a milter script for postfix, is it
> > possible to pass the message to maildrop so that it can take care of the
> > formalities such as filenames and formats and tell it to put it in a
> > sent folder? Something like a shell or perl script that uses this line
> > to run maildrop:
> >
> > maildrop -d $user Maildir/.Sent
> >
> > Obviously the message itself will be piped, and the $user will be
> > obtained by copying the from field in the message.
> >
> > Would something like this work? I've been searching on google but
> > haven't found a clear answer, they only mention using maildrop filters
> > and commands there- not actual usage of the maildrop cli.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> If you wrote a filter for postfix, which I have no idea how to do, the
> maildrop command you sight looks good.

> [...]

That would be the maildroprc wouldn't it? But then the question is
whether the global filter is first or the user filter is- it will make a
difference.

The main point is to minimise disturbance and ensure transparency to the
end user- ie it just happens.

A big problem I'm facing is that postfix will only send to a filter as
another server (address:port), whereas most solutions I have to suit the
need are stdin only (could be redirected to of course, but still not the
same as an address:port). Still if I get past this, then the process
from there should be very simple. Maybe...