i have everything (/) on single partition on most of my servers, including those having lots of mail.
I don't think that is clever. sysinstall creates different partitions for /

but i do. sysinstall and most people and manuals just copy "traditions".
it's nonsense.

Except when my users search for a text in the "message body". Unfortunately, they often do this. :-(

ok right :)

assuming you configured your RAID1+0 properly it will give you MUCH more performance from 10 disks, than RAID1 on 2 - a bit faster - drives.

IMHO you wasted money for SAS drives, simply having SATA only system could be enough.
This is true for raw read/write speed. But some I/O operations are seek intensive. Seek time for a 15 000 rpm SAS disk is lower than it is for a 10 disk SATA2 RAID. Seek intensive operations should go to SAS. But I'm not sure what they are. If you say that dovecot is not seek intensive then you answered my question. :-)

with 5000 mails in one folder it will be seek intensive ;)