I'm just curious.  My friend set up one of those TIVO clones with
the 'ol freebsd server to the TV would be kind of nifty in the bling

add secondary PCI card (anything will suffice)+converter, and set up TV-compatible mode in your Xorg.conf

this will give you actual TV output with right resolution and refresh rate, not some crappy on-the-fly conversion of your VGA framebuffer done by cards with TV-out.

see this:

http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/

it's for windoze but with that data you should be able to make custom XOrg mode mathing your TV. it's for PAL, you will for sure find the right data for NTSC standard.