Ok, cracked it. ccache will dump core, if the argument list >255 arguments, most likely because the page size is 2048 bytes, but I'm guessing here. What happens in x_realloc is that it wants to copy the 2048+8 from the old pointer to the new, yet the old pointer is only 2040 bytes big. I think it goes ok, till 2048, because 2048 is allocated regardless. You won't see this on 32-bits, because you don't hit this size as the pointer size is only 4 bytes. Most likely, you will hit this bug with argument list >510 arguments.

The patch inlined below my sig will fix the problem. I'll file a PR so that ahze@ can fix it properly. Save it as /usr/ports/devel/ccache/files/patch-args.c and reinstall ccache.

here are my unfortunate results

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /usr/ports/devel/ccache]# make
===>  Patching for ccache-2.4_7
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for ccache-2.4_7
patch: **** malformed patch at line 9: sizeof(char *));
=> Patch patch-args.c failed to apply cleanly.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/ccache.