On Friday 26 September 2008 11:41:41 Colin Brace wrote:

> I recently ran out of diskspace on the root partition of my FreeBSD 7 box,
> which serves as a home server/gateway. As a result, when I went to edit my
> rc.conf file with nano earlier this moth, it couldn't save the changes and
> the file was written zero-length. Alas, my nightly backup subsequently
> archived this, and I've now lost the original.

This is one reason I use sudoedit for configuration files, even if I'm su'd to
root. Also, incremental backups are a good thing.

> Here is my rc.conf now:
>
> check_quotas="NO"
> cron_enable="YES"
> hostname="venus"
> inetd_enable="NO"
> linux_enable="YES"
> moused_enable="YES"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> usbd_enable="YES"
> lighttpd_enable="YES"
> postfix_enable="YES"
> sendmail_enable="NO"
> sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
> sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
> sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
> dovecot_enable="YES"
> rpcbind_enable="YES"
> nfs_server_enable="YES"
> mountd_flags="-r"
>
> # WLAN interface
> ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
>
> # LAN interface
> ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.1.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> # WIFI interface
> ifconfig_ath0=""
>
> smartd_enable="YES"
> pf_enable="YES"
> pflog_enable="YES"
> dhcpd_enable="YES"
>
> /usr/local/sbin/dnrd -s 208.67.222.222
>
> postgresql_enable="YES"
> obspamd_enable="YES"
> obspamdlog_enable="YES"
> dovecot_enable="YES"
> rsyncd_enable="YES"
> rtadvd_enable="YES"
>
> I am using PF for NAT, and have the following rule:
>
> [...]
> ext_if = "fxp0"
> [...]
> nat on $ext_if from !($ext_if) to any -> ($ext_if)
> [...]
>
> I must be missing something obvious, but what?

gateway_enable="YES" perhaps. Either that or pf is not started, because it
cannot resolve a hostname in a table.
Setting rc_debug="YES" will show some possibilities.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.